Saturday, March 22, 2008

Nova Advances

Nova comes back from 18 down to become the only Big 5 team to advance to 2nd round



Honestly I didn't see the second half of this game. I was whooped by the time 10:30 rolled around and woke up to find out that Nova bounced back from 18 down to defeat Clemson. After watching another disappointing game in St. Joe's and my seeing my alma mater Temple lose on Thursday I wrote Nova off after their slow start.

But, they hung in there and played into the wee hours and around 1:00 in the morning became the only Big 5 squad to advance. Kudos to Jay Wright and the Wildcats.

Nova will face 13th seeded Siena, who pulled off an upset over Vanderbilt in the first round. In fact, yesterday was the first time in Tournament history that all four underdog teams in one stadium (in Tampa) won their opening round games.

-------------------------------------

A Miracle Occurs

The Flyers win a shootout over the Rangers!

I was watching this game at the bar last night with some friends and expected them to blow it in the final 30 seconds like they've often done this year. And, they actually blew it with a few minutes left.

Then, the game went into overtime and they survived. But, I couldn't take it anymore and left the bar. I was not going to put myself through another Flyers shootout.

Maybe me leaving the ole pub was what the Fly guys needed. Because once I left the shootout goals started pouring in and before I was halfway home I heard on the radio that they won the game.

I called my buddy up (who claimed the Flyers only won two shootouts over the past three seasons) and I was happier than a pig in you know what.

I'm going to have to research the number of shootouts the Flyers have won, but I'm willing to put some money up that it was more than three (after last night's win) despite how horrific they've been at it.

No comments: