Saturday, November 29, 2008

Balance

Eagles exhibit balance on Thursday night



The Eagles' running game was released from the witness protection program on Thursday night and the results were obvious.

48-20 was the final score and when Andy Reid was asked about balance on offense after the game.

"I tried to explain that," Reid said. "Efficient balance is . . . say you are running the football and for the first eight carries you average 1.2 yards, and you're throwing the football and averaging 10 yards per throw. To me, you're probably going to throw the football a couple more times than you're going to run the football.

"Efficient balance would be to get it up around 4 yards - 31/2 to 4 yards per carry - then let's have a good completion percentage, and let's go to work."

Rueben Frank grilled him further about it and Reid told him "he's probably right" and that he'd get his "little book out about the stats."

And, off camera when Reid was grilled about it further by our reporter on hand and he had this to offer. "Look I know my passing offense is a joke, but I'm in so deep that I have to continue to act like what I do is right. (cough) (cough) If I come out and say that passing the ball 50 times might not be such a good idea then I look like a complete a**hole."

As assistant coach on the Eagles chimed in with this nugget the day after the game at the Novacare complex. "I don't know how many times I tried to tell that a**hole (Reid) about running the godd**n ball more. Hell, just run the ball 7 more times a game. Andy, you'll be surprised to see the difference it makes. He told me to just shut the f**k up and let him run the team."

Ray Didinger spilled the beans when it comes to the Eagles and running the rock. Since 2000 when they have more rushing attempts than their opponent they're 52-10, and 37-5 when they run the ball more than 30 times.

Don't tell that to Andy though.

Brian Westbrook was giddy about his four touchdown performance. "About damn time Big Red let me do my thing. I was telling him that I was healthy and just let handle the rock. Look, I aint trying to hate on coach, but a blind man can see how good we are when we run the rock."

L.J. Smith threw a bottle of water at us when we asked him about his opinion on the Thursday night game. He's a little pissed at us about the you know-name of the blog and all.

The Eagles are off until next Sunday when they take on the Giants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could picture Reid saying that. There's no way he can honestly believe his offense is that effective when they pass the ball 50 times and run it 20.