Friday, September 19, 2008

7 and 2

Phils make it seven straight wins and two consecutive sweeps with win over Braves



Seven and two. Those are two numbers that are good news to any fan of the Phillies. The Fightins have amassed even straight wins and two consecutive sweeps after a 4-game sweep over the Brewers and a 3-game sweep over the Braves.

And, 7-2 over their final games, is what the Phillies will have to do to ensure they make the playoffs in my opinion.

Since they lost to the Marlins over a week ago, the National League playoff race has turned inside out. The Brewers have collapsed and fired their manager after a debacle against the Phillies. And, the Mets have relinquished their once seemingly insurmountable lead to the Phillies.

As I wrote yesterday, Pat Burrell was headed down the tubes. His once .300 average from early in the season had plummeted to below .250 when he was 0-2 at the plate last night. Then, he hit a homer to seal the win. It looks like this team is starting to capture the magic from last season. And, I was wrong because I really had this team dead in the water. And, I'll man up and say when I'm wrong on something unlike some people I know or hear in the media.

However, they still need to win 7 of 9 games. That will ensure they get into the playoffs. The Mets are still keeping pace with them and just a 1/2 game back. And, the Brewers are two games behind the Phils in the loss column. That means in order to clinch the Wild Card, they'll need to go 7-2 and if the Brewers also go 7-2 and tie the Phils then they'll duke it out in a one game playoff. And, with the way the Brew Crew has gone down the tubes, I wouldn't even bet on them winning that many in their final 9 games. The Brewers are just 4-13 in the month of September-playing easily the worst baseball of any team in the National League and perhaps the majors.

The Phils will play a very tough series starting tonight against the Marlins and it's in Florida against a pitcher they've had little success against in Josh Johnson. I think they'll lose two out of three in this series and I'm sure I'm not the only one. However, I'll go out on a limb and say they'll win their final six games and get that 7-2.

I could be wrong though; after all I counted this team out a week ago and they've proven me wrong.

Brett Myers, the second half Cy Young winner and arguably the MVP of this squad is going tonight so I'm expecting a win. He takes the hill tonight against Johnson at 7:10.

No comments: